Red Stripe Premier League
Data Sports Group Logo
Premier League Jamaica
2019-10-13 23:43 

Tivoli Gardens' Kemar Flemmimgs (left) shoves Andre Fletcher of Waterhouse FC off the ball

Waterhouse better Tivoli Gardens in fiery fixture

Observer writer

Saturday, October 12, 2019

Last season's beaten finalists Waterhouse FC kept up the pressure on surprise Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) leaders Molynes United when they edged Tivoli Gardens FC 2-1 in a fiery rescheduled contest at the Drewsland Stadium on Thursday.

Captain Keithy Simpson in the 66th, and a late 90+3 strike from Kenroy Howell, handed Waterhouse all three points after Captain Barrignton Pryce had given his Tivoli Gardens team a 28th-minute lead.Such was the intensity of the game, which was rescheduled due to Waterhouse's participation in the Scotiabank Concacaf League, that five yellow cards and two red cards were issued by referee Okeito Nicholson.

Rodico Wellington, who came on as a 89th-minute substitute was shown a straight red card for kicking Andre Fletcher in the head, after which Tivoli Gardens Assistant Coach Edsel Scott was also given marching orders from the sidelines following an attempt to confront referee Nicholson.

The win saw Waterhouse move to 16 points, two points behind Molynes, who have maximum points from six games. Tivoli are currently at the foot of the 12-team league standing on four points.

There was an early indication that this game, like many others between them, was set to be very feisty, as the players greeted each other with a few crunching tackles in the early exchanges.

When Waterhouse settled into their game, they forced two good saves from Davian Watkins in goal for Tivoli Gardens. The custodian tipped a fierce drive from Howell over the crossbar and later blocked a close range effort from Stephen Williams, who skilfully got by two defenders.

However, it was Tivoli Gardens who broke the deadlock when an unmarked Pryce headed home at the back post, becoming the first player to score against Waterhouse this season.

Waterhouse tried desperately to get on level terms, but it was not to be before the interval, as substitute Damion Binns saw his deflected effort come back off the left upright.

Tivoli tried to defend their lead as they stuck behind the ball on the resumption, inviting Waterhouse to try and break them down. Waterhouse inevitably breached their defence six minutes past the hour mark when Simpson scored from 12 yards, after being awarded a penalty.

Howell then found the winner when he slotted past Watkins in the second minute of added time.

Teams: Waterhouse — Diego Haughton, Nicholy Finlayson, Ricardo Thomas, Mark Miller, Keithy Simpson, Kenroy Howell, Denardo Thomas (Damion Binns 32nd), Stephen Williams (Andre Moulton 82nd), Andre Fletcher,(Kymani Campbell 90+2), Colorado Murray, Shawn Lawes

Subs not used: Shaun Dewar, Joel Johnson, Denislon Simpson, Valdono Moulton

Booked: Thomas (27th), Murray (70th)

Tivoli Gardens — Davian Watkins, Kemar Flemmings, Barrington Pryce, Jabuer Johnson, Nathaniel Leslie, Dasha Satchwell, Rochane Smith, Shavar Campbell (Rodico Wellington 89th), Davion Garrison, Howard Morris (Dawyne Smith 78th), Jermaine Johnson

Subs not used: Stephen Barnett, Ranike Anderson, Tkiven Garnett, Junior McGregor

Booked: Johnson (51st), Morris (67th), Smith (69th), Wellington (90+2 red card)

Referee: Okeito Nicholson

Assistant Referees: Damian Williams, Rolanzo Bennett

Fourth Official: Carvel Banton

Match Commissary: Garfield McDonald

Related Topics
Tivoli Gardens